Amnesty International is looking for a volunteer to assist the East Africa Team in their work. The volunteer should be available for a minimum of 3 days a week and preferably 5 days, for 6 months. The contract can be extended or renewed by mutual agreement.
Although the volunteer’s role will be supervised, he/she will be expected to work independently, use their initiative and manage their own tasks. Willingness to undertake some routine administrative tasks is crucial. Projects may be devised by the team in collaboration with the volunteer, which will aim to assist the team in fulfilling its strategic objectives, while making the best use of the volunteer’s own skills, interests and experience.
Volunteering at Amnesty International, one of the world’s leading human rights organizations, can provide valuable experience and you will receive work references at the completion of your assignment. However, please note that volunteering does not lead directly to employment with Amnesty International.
The successful volunteer would be expected to carry out the following tasks:
1. Press monitoring and electronic filing: Monitor newspapers and other online media on a daily basis.
2. Databases: Maintaining and updating logs on a number of human rights issues, and others.
3. Social media: Monitor and update social media platforms
3. Filing: Assist with electronic filing and with filing of hardcopy material.
4. Administrative support: Assist with tasks such as mailing, event organization, and organizing contact databases.
5. Translation: Assist with translation of communications and inquiries from the general public in Swahili or other regional languages.
- Interest in and knowledge of the social, political and human rights context of East Africa and surrounding countries.
- Background through study, work or other experience in a relevant area, such as human rights, law, international relations, political science or social sciences.
- Commitment to Amnesty International’s mandate.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and to multi-task.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Desirable language skill, Swahili.
NB: Only applicants who have eligibility, i.e. Kenyan citizens or foreign students with a right to study and work in Kenya, will be considered for the above post.
Please note that any salary figure given is the gross figure, earnings will be subject to relevant local taxation.