Join ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability!
Application Deadline 30 July 2014
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is the world’s leading association of more than 1000 metropolises, cities, urban regions and towns representing over 660 million people in 85 countries. ICLEI promotes local action for global sustainability and supports cities to become sustainable, resilient, resource-efficient, biodiverse, low-carbon; to build a smart infrastructure; and to develop an inclusive, green urban economy with the ultimate aim of achieving healthy and happy communities.
ICLEI´s Global Climate Program focuses on 3 main action areas; mitigation, adaptation and advocacy. ICLEI also acts as the focal point of local government and municipal authorities’ constituency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and serves as the Secretariat of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change (WMCCC).
Advocacy work is also done in the field of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and towards the Habitat III Conference in 2016.
We are offering an Internship as Advocacy Assistant in the Advocacy Team at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
Supporting the global advocacy work, including this of ICLEI’s carbonn Center by:
- Providing inputs in developing position papers and negotiation strategy related to the agenda of multilateral environmental agreements, with a specific focus on active and appropriate engagement of local leaders and governments in the global climate regime;
- Writing and editing texts on the global processes, mainly for the understanding of local governments;
- Editing respective websites;
- Supporting global dissemination of related information;
- Supporting the implementation of related projects.
Assisting the Secretariat of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change in:
- Maintaining member relations and networking, including organization of Council´s sessions and recruitment of new members;
- Facilitating Council services, including drafting executive briefings, updating the webpage, and mobilizing members in global events;
- Facilitating Council activities including the organization of annual Mayors Adaptation Forum and supporting the preparations of the Global Cities Compact of Mayors.
- Degree in a relevant subject area such as Environmental Science, Political Science, Economics, Business Administration, International Relations;
- Keen interest in climate change advocacy and urban sustainable development advocacy;
- Creative and pro-active attitude;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Organized working style and show organizing skills;
- Skills and experience in research & analysis as well as visual presentation;
- Proficiency in office software; web design/ editing software (Typo3) would be an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in Spanish, French and/or German are an asset.
Terms and conditions:
The Internship position is available immediately at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The duration will be six months.
ICLEI offers interns a cost compensation of Euro 880 per month.
Workings hours: 40/week, 2 days of paid leave per month (i.e. 12 days for six months internship).
Working language: English
Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.