The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) is the global organization of national parliaments. We promote democratic governance, institutions and values, working with parliaments and parliamentarians to articulate and respond to the needs and aspirations of the people. We work for peace, democracy, human rights, gender equality, youth empowerment, climate action and sustainable development through political dialogue, cooperation and parliamentary action.
The IPU provides support to parliaments to help facilitate their self-development. This work is guided by the Common Principles for Support to Parliament.
The intern will assist the IPU to implement activities related to enhancing parliamentary self-development and visibility of this issue through the prism of the anniversary of the Common Principles.
Contribute to a survey on the Common Principles
- Assist in the design of a survey to be sent to parliaments and support partners to take stock of how parliaments are applying the common principles, achievements, impact, challenges, suggested needs, and propose new initiatives on their application.
- Record results of the survey as well as previous relevant contributions received from parliaments in a structured database and analyse key findings.
Draft an interactive Report on the Common Principles
- Prepare a draft report on the results of the survey with presentation of key findings, stories, and noteworthy quotations. The report will serve to summarize the level of awareness and application of the Common Principles among parliaments and propose new initiatives for their improvement. It will also consider new needs by parliaments in the field of parliamentary development.
- The report should be formatted in an interactive and digital format that is innovative and visual.
Support actions to promote the anniversary of the Common Principles and their continued endorsement, including an infographic and other visual assets
- Contribute to the promotion of the Common Principles and its anniversary, including by promoting endorsement to parliaments and partners at the 147th IPU Assembly and in other targeted events in view of achieving universal endorsement.
- Contribute to the design of an infographic on the Common Principles.
- Contribute to the design and production of other innovative promotional assets, for example, multimedia to showcase good examples of application of the Common Principles, motion designs, sound bites, etc.
Additional tasks related to the tenth anniversary of the Common Principles and their promotion may be foreseen. Occasional ad hoc assignments related to the work of the programme may also be required.
- University degree in graphic design, marketing, communications, journalism, or another communications-related field. A graduate-level degree would be an advantage. A academic focus on political science or related field would also be an advantage;
- Good knowledge of the functioning of national parliaments. Experience in a parliament an advantage;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Graphic design skills would be an advantage;
- Ability to work independently;
- Excellent writing skills in English or French, as well as good knowledge of the other language;
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish and/or Arabic would be an advantage; and
- General computer skills (MS Office applications, Internet).
Period of Internship and location
From 15 May to 31 December 2023. The internship will be based in Geneva. Travel will be required to the 147th IPU Assembly (October 2023). Costs related to travel will be covered by the IPU.
The internship will be part-time (50%), corresponding to 18.75 hours a week. On occasions where travel will be required for events and meetings, the internship will be full-time for the duration of respective mission. It is expected that this will take place no more than once over the course of the internship period for 6-7 days.
The IPU will pay the intern a monthly allowance of CHF 750, when working part-time (50%), and the prorated equivalent of 1’500 CHF per month when working full-time (100%), such as on the occasion of the IPU Assembly
May 6, 2023