“Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring the best and brightest who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with nine offices across the U.S.
The Policy and Legislation (PAL) intern will work with the PAL department, which is comprised of environmental lobbyists and advocates, to protect our courtroom victories from efforts to undo them in Congress and defend and strengthen the same environmental laws Earthjustice enforces in the courtroom. The intern will learn how a non-profit environmental organization weighs in on environmental policy at the federal level and gain considerable insight into congressional procedures, the policy process, environmental nonprofit lobbying and advocacy strategizing, coalition building, and associated communications and outreach.
- Assist in various tasks, including online research and blog writing.
- Attend Congressional hearings and coalition meetings.
- Prepare and disseminate information to Congressional offices and PAL staff.
- Make phone calls to Congressional offices.
- Manage databases.
- Assist with outreach and preparation for events sponsored by PAL.
- Draft and edit policy documents and fact sheets.
- Opportunity for short and/or long-term research projects on a variety of issues, depending on the intern’s interests.
- Must be currently enrolled in a college/university program to apply; undergraduates in their Junior or Senior year are preferred.
- Able to work full time.
- Must reside in the DC metro area or be willing to relocate for the duration of the internship.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of online research and MS Office programs.
A stipend will be provided.
Internship Duration: May through July
Application Deadline: March 1″
For more information and to apply, visit http://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/34660/policy-and-legislation-internship.