Promundo-US, an international non-governmental organization working to promote gender equality and violence prevention, seeks a student Research and Communications Intern to work park-time in its Washington, DC office.
Founded in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1997, Promundo works internationally to promote caring, non-violent and equitable masculinities and gender relations internationally. Promundo’s independently registered organizations in Brazil, the United States and Portugal and its representatives in Rwanda and Burundi collaborate to achieve this mission by conducting research to build the knowledge base on masculinities and gender equality; developing, evaluating and scaling up gender transformative interventions and programs; and carrying out national and international advocacy to achieve gender equality and social justice. For more information, see www.promundo.org.br/en
The Research and Communications Intern is a new position that will provide support for both Program Officers and Communications Staff; the term is from mid-July through December 2014 with potential to extend.
Research and Program Tasks:
- Conduct literature searches on men and caregiving, fatherhood, gender equality, violence prevention, and economic empowerment.
- Organize and maintain Promundo’s research libraries.
- Draft or review short reports, proposals or literature reviews, as necessary.
- Assist in formatting, editing, and checking survey tools.
- Coordinate with external reviewers and partners to solicit and collect feedback about a major report on men and caregiving.
- Edit/proofread documents and funding proposals.
- Collect program examples and fatherhood stories from partner organizations to feature on social media
- Update campaign websites with resources and news
- Collaborate on social media and online visibility strategies.
- Layout/design various publications using Adobe Design Suite.
- Research/monitor/brief on relevant news outlets.
- Research communications contractor
- Required Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled as a student
- Experience with conducting research and writing literature reviews
- Excellent English writing, proofreading and speaking skills
- Experience maintaining and organizing databases or research libraries
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Experience with CMS (WordPress)
- Proficiency with Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Detail-oriented, self-starter
- Knowledge of gender issues
- Hard worker and multi-tasker
- Quick learner
- Honesty, reliability and flexibility
- Desirable Qualifications:
- Second language proficiency (either Portuguese or Spanish preferred.)
How to apply
Please send cover letter and CV as soon as possible to:email@example.com. Applications will be considered as they are received. Please indicate in cover letter if you are a US citizen and, if not, your current employment status in the US.