Position Title: Media, Technology and Human Rights Research Intern
Functional Area/Department: Media, Technology and Human Rights Department
Duration: 12 weeks; 20 hours per week
Clearance Required: No
Working with the Media, Technology and Human Rights Department, the summer research Intern will have an opportunity to meaningfully contribute to efforts to advance the work of DT on issues such as democratic erosion, disinformation and propaganda, civil society resilience, and representation of human rights and democracy in news media and pop culture. This is a remote position, preferably based in Europe.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities: The Intern will report to the Chief of Party for the Information Access Fund and work closely with the Program Manager and Monitoring and Evaluation Manager. The summer intern will undertake desk research and literature review on one or more of the priority issue for the MTH team; conduct key informant interviews with leading academics, policy-makers, and practitioners; draft report(s) on best practices and lessons learned, and assist with the design of programmatic activities for DT Institute projects in Central and Eastern Europe, and the Balkans; and other research and programmatic tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade point average of 3.2 or higher preferred
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to communicate in Russian, Serbian, or any other Eastern- European Language desired
- At least 18 years of age before the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in or have been accepted to an accredited college, university, or course of study.
- Actively seeking a degree in Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Peace and Conflict Studies, Law degree, or similar field of study.
- Basic knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills.
- Knowledge and experience with professional written communication
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization in achieving its objectives; and
- A highly developed sense of ethics and integrity;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and to respond promptly to queries and provide feedback