The Migration Policy Institute seeks a college senior, college graduate, advanced-degree student, or advanced-degree holder for a full or part-time (minimum 25 hours) research internship position for a period of 3 to 6 months, beginning in February 2018. The intern will be engaged in research and project support relating to MPI work concerning refugee resettlement efforts in the United States.
The ideal candidate is a person with demonstrated professional experience related to refugee integration and/or with academic training in political sciences, public policy, economics, sociology, or international development; and with strong writing and analytic skills.
Among the anticipated duties:
- Contribute to MPI research efforts, including through independent quantitative and/or qualitative research, review of statutory and policy materials, research reports, and policy analysis
- Write paper drafts and prepare literature summaries focusing on refugee integration and services for children and adults in refugee families
- Assist in organizing site visits and meetings in connection with project work (may involve travel)
- Participate in meetings with refugee resettlement experts and service providers
- Organize relevant materials from state and local refugee resettlement efforts gathered over the course of the project
- Provide administrative support to MPI on migration-related events, and assist with partial coverage of the reception desk and other light administrative tasks.
A monthly stipend is offered to full-time interns and a prorated stipend is available for those who intern part-time. Students also may arrange to obtain school credit for their work. In addition, MPI offers reimbursement for daily public transportation to and from work. Relocation expenses are not covered. Minority applicants and/or applicants from immigrant or refugee backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States before the internship begins.
Deadline: February 4, 2018.
Interested applicants should send to email@example.com the following materials:
- Cover letter describing your interest in this position (please include the approximate dates you are available to start and finish)
- A writing sample in English that showcases your ability to write clearly and analytically (up to five, single-spaced pages)
- Transcripts (either official or unofficial) from all colleges/universities that you have attended that show classes you have taken along with class grades