The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity, and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 28 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency. The Refugee Client Services intern will be instrumental in helping newly arrived refugees, and other refugees who are facing significant barriers to connecting to appropriate services in San Diego. The intern will support both Caseworkers and refugee clients directly.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Drive and accompany clients to appointments, such as the DMV, health check-ups, legal consults, school enrollments, etc.
- Assist Resettlement Caseworkers with airport pickups for newly arriving refugee families
- Assist with setting up the apartments of families scheduled to arrive in San Diego, including shopping for a set list of items
- Take clients to the bank to open accounts or withdraw money
- Help clients enroll in services, in-person or remotely
- Accompany clients on bus/metro trips to help them learn routes on the San Diego public transit system
- Develop guides and learning materials for client use (examples: healthcare navigation, food banks, local community guides, etc.)
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or Master’s program focused on Education, International Relations/Development, Social Work, or related field
- Excellent organization skills, strong communication, and interpersonal skills, empathy, and ability to effectively collaborate
- Ability to use basic functions of Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office programs
- English fluency required
- 1+ years related work or volunteer experience with a non-profit strongly preferred
- A strong interest in working with a diverse, low-income population is required.
- Proactive, motivated, and flexible; able to remain calm and adapt within a fast-paced work environment
- Language skills a plus (Farsi/Dari, Kiswahili, Arabic, Burmese, or Russian strongly preferred)
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly in the area (daytime and nighttime hours)
For more information and to apply, click here.