The UN is seeking applicants for their public information internship positions. The internships are located in the United Nations Information Center in Washington, D.C. The Centre is the principal source of information about the United Nations system in the United States. One intern will work on social media, and communications and the other will do academic outreach. The internships will run for four months with the possibility of an extension for two additional months. The internships are unpaid and can be full (35 hrs/week) or part-time (21 hrs/week) depending on the applicant’s academic obligations.
The deadline to apply for these opportunies is January 6, 2022.
Media Intern Responsibilities
- Assist with content and design of social media posts and conduct analysis of social media metrics;
- Assist with the production of communication products, including conducting research, compiling information, coordinating logistics, and assisting with public inquiries;
- Assist with preparations for events, high-level visitors from headquarters and field offices, and speaking engagements;
- Compile, analyze and organize data for office reports;
- Attend meetings and draft summaries;
- Perform other tasks as necessary.
Outreach Intern Responsibilities
- Contributing to the drafting of the strategy and to its implementation;
- Creating a database of contacts in academic institutions and community focal points;
- Creating a roster of UN speakers;
- Coordinating with all relevant partners the calendar of outreach events;
- Coordinating with all relevant partners the organization of outreach events;
- Handling incoming and outgoing correspondence related to all outreach activities;
- Interacting with counterparts in colleges and universities to organize outreach events in-person, virtual or hybrid;
- Assisting with managing all logistical requirements;
- Compiling and distributing any required material, including talking points, scripts, and agendas;
- Support virtual events on a variety of software platforms;
- Providing required follow-up; and
- Performing any other required task.
- Perform other office tasks as necessary.
- Strong communications skills
- Able to work collaboratively, value other’s opinions, and manage time effectively for both personal and team assignments
- Must be one of the following
- Enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher
- Enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- Computer literate in standard software applications including Microsoft Office 365 and google programs
- Have a demonstrated interest in the work of the UN and a commitment to the charter
- Fluency in English required; knowledge of other UN languages an asset
For more information and to apply for the media internship, click here.
For more information and to apply for the outreach internship, click here.