Organizational Unit: Strategic Communications and Outreach Unit, UNHCR Washington Multi-Country Office
Duty Station: Washington, DC
Position Title/Type: Strategic Communications and Outreach Intern
Duration of the Internship: Between 12 weeks and 6 months
Expected Start Date: January 2023
Since 1950, UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of more than 10,000 people in 130 countries continues to help and protect millions of refugees, returnees, internally displaced and stateless people. UNHCR provides lifesaving assistance, protection, shelter, food, clean water, education and medical care to some of the world’s most vulnerable. UNHCR also provides assistance to refugees who want to return home when it is safe to do so and helps integrate refugees within their local host country or resettle to a third country when returning home is no longer an option. Non-governmental organization (NGO) partners work with UNHCR around the globe to assist and protect refugees and internally displaced people.
The U.S. Strategic Communications and Outreach team provides information on global refugee crises and UNHCR’s role protecting and assisting refugees to U.S. and Caribbean media outlets and engages U.S. audiences through strategic partnerships, digital outreach, campaigns, exhibits and events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The intern will gain unique knowledge about UNHCR’s global role, capabilities, programs, and impact, and the role of communications and outreach in achieving UNHCR’s mandate by:
• Support staff with outreach, including media relations, digital media, multi-media projects, events, exhibits and campaigns to ensure public support for refugees and UNHCR.
• Assist in the production of multimedia projects, graphic design, digital media;
• Assist in the management of multimedia content;
• Assist with monitoring media coverage of UNHCR’s work, refugees, asylum seekers, and humanitarian assistance;
• Research and respond to information requests from the general public;
• Attend relevant external events and prepare summaries of content;
• Undertake other projects as needed to further assist the U.S. Strategic Communications and Outreach team’s work.
• Current students or recent graduates with Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree.
• Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite is required. Working knowledge in Premiere Pro and/or After Effects is strongly desired. Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is a plus.
• Possess an understanding of journalism, media relations and communications;
• Demonstrated commitment or strong interest in international relations, refugee issues, and humanitarian response;
• Superior command of the English language with excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize with minimal supervision. Attention to detail required.
Terms of Internship:
• UNHCR offers full time and part time internships. Interns are responsible for their housing, their legal stay in the United States, health insurance, and any other related documentation.
• Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside institution will receive an allowance to support costs related to food and local transportation.
• An internship does not create any expectation or entitlement to employment with UNHCR at the conclusion of the internship.
UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Supplemental Application details:
• Apply through the UNHCR portal and email a portfolio of your work samples (in one PDF file or personal website) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.