The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications. Their African Peacebuilding Network (APN) and the Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa program works to support independent research by African scholars and practitioners within the field of peacebuilding. They are seeking an intern to work four days a week for three months to support the efforts of this program. A stipend will be provided. This internship is based in Brooklyn, New York.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Work closely with program staff on administrative, communications strategy, and publicity efforts.
- Manage social networking and email campaigns to promote noteworthy project developments.
- Help to expand and organize their network of contacts in academia, the media, and the public at large.
- Contribute to research, writing, copyediting, and editing according to standards of the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Assist in proposal and report writing and editing.
- Assist in the planning of workshops, meetings, and outreach activities.
- Other duties and additional responsibilities and projects as directed, depending upon interest and capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences or humanities or current enrollment in a degree program; an interest in international relations, peace studies, or other related fields is ideal.
- Experience with communications and publicity efforts, including through social networking services.
- Proficiency with web publishing, social media, data platforms, and internet resources; familiarity with HTML a plus.
- Interest in and knowledge of Africa and/or conflict, peace, security, and development issues.
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivation, adaptability, and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in MS Office; familiarity with database and web management software is desirable.
For more information and to apply, click here.