The Council on Foreign Relations is seeking applicants to join their Washington External Affairs team as summer interns. The Washington External Affairs team is comprised of the Congress and U.S. Foreign Policy program and CFR’s diplomatic and executive branch initiatives. The Congress program engages members of Congress and their staffs on both sides of the aisle with a weekly roundtable policy discussion series, monthly briefings for Senate chiefs of staff, breakfast meetings for members of Congress, and other on-demand briefings. The internship requires 14-18 hours per week and is a paid opportunity. Interns will be given a choice of working on-site in Washington, DC in a hybrid capacity or fully remotely offsite.
Applications for this opportunity are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Assist External Affairs with the day-to-day administrative duties, including logging registrations for meetings, creating and maintaining lists of congressional contacts, targeting constituencies for the distribution of CFR materials, and managing the extensive CFR database
- Help manage the Congress and U.S. Foreign Policy program’s correspondence as well as drafting invitations and other materials for meetings
- Provide logistical support and execution of weekly meetings for Capitol Hill with congressional senior staff as well as occasional additional meetings with members of Congress
- Perform research, as needed
- Undergraduate or graduate student (preferred) with a concentration in International Relations, Public Policy, American Government, or Political Science
- All applicants should have completed the equivalent of four semesters of college coursework (not including AP classes in high school) by the time they begin an internship
- Must be available three days a week including Monday and Friday
- A congressional internship or experience is required
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and database management
- Ability to multi-task and work well on a team
For more information and to apply, click here.