Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected countries, often where communities are recovering from disaster, conflict, or economic collapse. With programs in more than 40 countries, Mercy Corps is one of the largest relief and development NGOs in the US. The intern(s) will support and participate in the work of the Policy and Advocacy team with a primary focus on Africa. Interns should be available to work full time (30 hours per week) from June 2022 through September 2022 and will be paid a $2600/month stipend. Interns will work remotely.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until there have been 200 applications submitted.
- Conduct policy and practice research in support of Mercy Corps advocacy initiatives
- Assist in drafting advocacy documents such as reports, briefing notes, talking points, petitions, or factsheets on relevant policy issues
- Attend meetings and hearings of interest to Mercy Corps and report back on key issues
- Assist in organizing meetings with Congressional offices, Administration officials, and other contacts, and in maintaining a database of key interactions
- Review external and internal reports and publications and summarize relevant findings
- Assist in communicating policy and advocacy updates to the broader Mercy Corps community through Mercy Corps’ intranet system, the weekly newsletter, and website
- University degree in progress or recently completed (within 1 year) in relevant discipline in International Relations, Public Policy, or related field
- Interest in humanitarian and development issues and policy and advocacy
- Background in peacebuilding and Africa policy
- Demonstrated solid writing, editing, and researching skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment
- Solid computer skills: must be able to work effectively and accurately with MS
- Word, Excel, Google applications, and email.
- Flexible work attitude: able to work productively in a team environment and independently
For more information and to apply, click here.