“The Summer Undergraduate Internship in Nonproliferation Studies at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS), Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS)—formerly the Monterey Institute of International Studies—is a paid internship. Interns will be compensated at the same rate as graduate research assistants. Internships last between 2-3 months, from early June to late August and Interns are responsible for finding housing, with the assistance of the Internship Coordinator.
Interns will work with CNS staff members on substantive issues for one of the following Nonproliferation Programs :
- East Asia
- Chemical and Biological Weapons
- International Organizations and Nonproliferation
CNS’s research interests also cover open source tools for nonproliferation, export controls, weapons of mass destruction (WMD) terrorism and regional nonproliferation issues, including the Middle East and South Asia.
In addition to assigned research work, interns may develop their own research projects under the guidance of CNS staff. As part of the training aspect of the internship program, interns at-tend seminars and lectures held at CNS through-out the summer. Interns may also have an opportunity to present results of their independent research as appropriate at the end of the program. The duration of the intern-ship should be two to three months between early June and late August. Interns are responsible for finding housing, with the assistance of the Internship Coordinator.
Candidate Requirements :
- It is preferred that at the time of acceptance, applicants should at least be in their sophomore year of studies at an undergraduate institution
- Is eligible to work in the United States
- Has a strong interest in nonproliferation issues*
- Is knowledgeable of international security topics (desirable)
- Has command of a foreign language (desirable)
*Majors in the physical or biological sciences are also encouraged to apply”
For more information about this internship and the application process, visit their website at http://sites.miis.edu/summerintern/apply/