“The Stimson internship program offers a professional and educational experience in discovering the way in which non-profit organizations can contribute to the understanding of issues in international peace and security. Stimson offers unique internship opportunities based on the values of education, professionalism, and practical experience.
Based on Stimson’s commitment to professional development, expectations for interns are high. In return, interns can expect a challenging environment which will prepare them for full time employment in a professional setting.
The application must include the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining interest in the position, availability, and interest in a specific project or projects
- A short writing sample (no more than 5 pages)
- Applicants will be interviewed over the phone, Skype, or, when possible, in person. Due to the volume of applications received, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Internships at Stimson focus on the areas of research, professional development, and project administration. Internships may include:
- Proofreading, editing, and distributing Stimson publications
- Writing brief summaries of activities in the news
- Helping to maintain the Stimson website
- Tracking specific issue areas in the media
- Taking notes in meetings, both on and off-site
- Project coordination
- Working as a team with members of the Stimson staff and other interns
- Administrative activities which will contribute to a fuller understanding of how non-profit organizations operate
Applicants should be highly motivated and sincere in their desire for an internship that is challenging and professional in nature. Interns can expect close and constant interaction with program staff, including their respective program directors. Intern supervisors are asked to prepare an evaluation of the intern’s performance at the close of the internship. The intern will also be encouraged to evaluate the internship program at Stimson and their individual experience.
Internships are volunteer experience only. All internships are unpaid (transportation may be reimbursable.) Applicants must be able to live and work legally in the United States.”