The Office of Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin is seeking a senior defense staffer (Military Legislative Assistant) to serve as the Congresswoman’s lead legislative staffer for her work on the House Armed Services Committee, and serve as her principal advisor on national security issues. The Military Legislative Assistant will report through the Congresswoman’s Deputy Chief of Staff and Legislative Director. Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing written and oral briefings to support Member participation in House Armed Services Committee (HASC) hearings;
- Leading the Congresswoman’s National Defense Authorization Act legislative proposal process as a HASC member office (identifying legislative priorities, engaging stakeholders, developing legislative proposals, working with HASC and other committee staff to tracking House floor proceedings, providing vote recommendations on topics related to defense and foreign policy;
- Acquiring an in-depth understanding of topics related to the national defense budget, defense industry, and the Department of Defense;
- Meeting with constituents and stakeholders;
- Drafting and analyzing legislation;
- Additional tasks and portfolio topics, as assigned by the Chief of Staff or Legislative Director.
Candidates should have 7-10 years of professional national security experience with a graduate degree in a relevant field and have familiarity with the legislative process, whether in a position on or working with Capitol Hill. Ideal candidates are:
- Hardworking and detail-oriented self-starters;
- Team players, able to work both collaboratively and individually;
- Excellent oral and written communicators, with superior research skills;
- Able to produce high quality work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines;
- Enthusiastic, collegial, and professional;
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a resume with two professional references, and one writing sample of 1000 words or less to “email@example.com” with “Military Legislative Assistant” in the subject line by December 11, 2020.
The Office of Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.