Unpaid internships exacerbate socioeconomic and racial inequalities as minority families may be disproportionately unable to subsidize their child’s college expenses in order for them to participate. With internships being a gatekeeper to jobs in many industries, this contributes to deepening the wealth gap and actively obstructs equal opportunity. Moreover, this limits future diversity amongst those in management and leadership tracks. To help combat this issue, the Amani Institutes’s Income 4 Interns contest awards $5,000 in support to unpaid interns in the social sector to help create pathways for students to explore careers.
The deadline to submit a video is November 16, 2021
- Aged 18-24
- A resident of the United States of America
- Subscribed to the Amani Institute’s YouTube Channel
- Must be able to show proof of internship employment within 12 months of winning to receive funds
Eligible participants should submit a video telling us what the right paid internship would empower them to do. They don’t need to have an internship already secured at the time of submission.
- Must not exceed 90 seconds in length
- Each entrant is allowed only 1 submission
- Must be original content and adhere to YouTube’s policy and copyright laws
For more information about how voting works and to apply, click here.