Job Title: Congressional Nuclear Security Fellowship
Organization: George Washington University – Nuclear Security Working Group
Location: Washington, D.C.
Job Description Excerpt
The Nuclear Security Working Group (NSWG) at the George Washington University (GW) is currently considering applicants for its 2018-2019 Fellowship in the U.S. Congress.
- Six Fellows will be placed in an equal number of Democratic and Republican offices in the Senate and House, to support core staff and help organize bipartisan outreach events under senior staff direction.
- Fellows will work full-time from January 2018 to January 2019.
- Fellows will be paid an annual stipend ranging from $45,000 – $80,000, depending on qualifications.
- GW will administer the Fellowship competition and select the finalists.
- Host offices will make final selections and decide office assignments.
- Fellows who accept the position must commit to a full year
- Support the legislative and policy priorities of the host office, under the direction of senior staff members.
- Provide prompt, professional support for general activities, as directed.
- Collaborate with their House and Senate counterparts to organize nonpartisan briefings and events on timely national and nuclear security issues for Members and staff.
- Develop the host office’s ties to the broader professional and policy community.
Management and Oversight
- GW will administer the Fellowship competition and all financial arrangements.
- Fellows will be assigned to House/Senate offices based on experience and professional compatibility.
- NSWG will provide support, as needed, for Fellow-initiated programs and/or events and outreach activities.
- Fellowships will be awarded in accordance with all relevant House/Senate ethics rules and contractual requirements.
- Applicants should be U.S. citizens and have no conflicts of interest impeding appointment to a NSWG Fellowship
- Fellows receive their stipends as independent contractors, and are not eligible for benefits (i.e. health insurance). Additionally, Fellows receive an annual travel allowance to facilitate attendance at professional meetings.
- Fellows may not be Federal employees or full time Federal contractors as of January 1, 2018.
Job Category: Fellowship/Post-Doc
- Candidates must submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and application form (collecting basic information and references) to email@example.com by 5:00 PM (EST) on October 31, 2017, using the subject line “Congressional Nuclear Security Fellowship – FULL NAME”.
- An interdisciplinary committee of GW faculty and Nuclear Security Working Group members will review applications and select a pool of finalists.
- GW staff will contact finalists by November 17, 2017, and work to schedule Hill interviews.
- Host offices will have the final say in the selection of Fellows and the offices in which Fellows are assigned.
Application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdICVbrP-CSo1bEhMDBS33TSUMCfuRg9j2PjJ4J3z0f0uuAWg/viewform
Application Website: http://nuclearsecurityworkinggroup.org/nuclear-security-working-group-congressional-fellowship-now-accepting-applications/
Contact Name: Nuclear Security Working Group
Contact Email; firstname.lastname@example.org