Position Title: Kiva Fellows Program
Kiva (www.kiva.org), the “hottest non-profit on the planet” according to FORTUNE magazine, is the world’s first person-to-person micro-lending website. Kiva’s microfinance institution (MFI) field partners are in 60 countries and post thousands of loans to Kiva.org every month so that individual lenders around the world can help to fund the efforts of microfinance entrepreneurs.
The Kiva Fellows Program offers individuals a rare opportunity to travel abroad and witness firsthand the realities of microfinance by working directly with a Kiva field partner. The Kiva Fellow is an unpaid, volunteer-based position designed to increase Kiva’s impact and to offer participants a unique insider experience into the microfinance industry.
- Work closely with local staff to maximize the host MFI’s partnership with Kiva
- Facilitate connections between Kiva borrowers and lenders
- Support Kiva’s product, marketing and organizational development
Successful Kiva Fellows tend to share certain skills and characteristics:
- Overseas experience (preferably in developing countries)
- High degree of flexibility, self-motivation and problem solving ability
- Cultural fluency and general adaptability
- Backgrounds in economics, finance, consulting and international development
- Familiarity and comfort with various web applications
- Dedication to working in the field with a microfinance institution
- Ability and commitment to fund the experience
- Minimum 4-month commitment
Fluency or advanced communication ability in Arabic, French, Khmer, Mongolian, Pashto, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog/Cebuano, Turkish and Vietnamese are highly preferred or required for many positions. English-only speakers are encouraged to apply to our diverse Anglophone portfolio.
How to Apply
The deadline for the 19th Class of Kiva Fellows is May 13th, 2012. Fellows must attend a one week training in San Francisco September 10 – 14, and must deploy into the field in mid September.
We accept applications on our website. Visit www.kiva.org/fellows/apply to apply. For more information on the application process, and to see information on upcoming application deadlines and training schedules visit our website, www.kiva.org/fellows.