The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Department of State, that annually provides 75 American and 75 German young professionals, between the ages of 18-24, the opportunity to spend one year in each other’s countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.
The program consists of three phases:
- Two months of intensive German language training
- Four months of classes in one’s academic or career field at a university, technical or professional school
- Five-month internships in one’s career field
- CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields who are interested in a year of academic, professional, and cultural exchange.
This funded fellowship opportunity annually covers basic living costs for all 150 participants (75 Americans + 75 Germans), including:
- Round-trip international airfare
- Language school costs for two months of intensive German language study
- Tuition costs for four months of study
- Housing costs for host family, apartment, or dormitory during the pre-internship phases
- Note: program funding during the internship depends on earnings
- Monthly stipend to cover basic costs of living
- Program-related travel within Germany
- Health insurance in Germany
CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year. In accordance with the public diplomacy goals of the CBYX program, the selection committee aims to select a diverse group of 75 American participants each year.
Participants are expected to act as “young ambassadors” of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, disabilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion and socio-economic status.
- U.S. citizenship
- Ages 18-24 at the start of the program
- High school diploma
- Must exhibit clear career goals and relevant experience in their career field
- Experience can be in the form of work, internships, or volunteering
- Strong interest in German and world affairs
- Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is preferred
- Please note that previous scholarship recipients of U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)-funded programs with a duration greater than eight weeks, including CBYX high school fellowships, are not eligible for this program.
How to Apply
All applicants must complete an online application and submit all supplemental materials by December 1 for the program year beginning the following July. A complete application consists of:
- Online application form; requiring copies of the following documents to be uploaded with your submission
- Copy of official transcript showing at least the last two years of study
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: passport or birth certificate
- High school diploma or proof of graduation
- Two letters of recommendation to be submitted
Learn more and apply online here: https://culturalvistas.org/programs/abroad/congress-bundestag-youth-exchange-young-professionals/?mc_cid=5eed9440c0&mc_eid=9d8c3bb136