Reports to: Communications Director
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, advocacy, business associations, corporate governance, democratic governance, access to information, the informal sector and property rights, and women and youth.
The Communications Assistant will report to the Communications Director and will work as part of a team to collaborate with a variety of departments to manage content for all CIPE publications, events, and media relations. This position must serve as an essential resource for CIPE staff members on preparing for events and coordinating publication of resources.
This person should be enthusiastic about democratic and economic international development. Background knowledge of CIPE’s areas of work is helpful. The ideal candidate is comfortable in cross-cultural interaction across language barriers, and should be personable and work well with a team.
- Maintenance of print/online resources, branding knowledge
- With guidance from Communications Manager and Communications Director, helps create, edit, and proofread content for CIPE periodicals, including Annual Reports, quarterly newsletters, weekly reports, press releases, and all email outreach items. Also assists in editing, revising, formatting, and designing CIPE regional publications, and program-generated products (e.g. books, guides, articles, and informational brochures).
- Assists with planning and executing events at CIPE, from inception to post-event evaluation. Tasks include invitation preparation, RSVP management, and event logistics.
- Maintains all contact lists and list servs. Responsible for coordinating targeted outreach efforts, and supporting the Communications Manager and Communications Director in developing and improving CIPE’s communications strategies. Maintains all press and media contacts.
- Coordinates responses to departmental requests, in conjunction with other communications staff.Maintains organizational archive of press clippings, including electronic and hard copy track records of all news coverage. Maintains all CIPE contact lists, and organizes targeted methods for all blast outreach measures using iContact online software.
- Assists with website content posting and editing, and creation and editing of videos.
- Administrative & Logistics Support
- Processing consuls, formulating contracts, maintaining project files, ordering staff business cards. Also responsible for completing monthly and quarterly mail merges for board correspondence.
- Maintaining publications archives, tracking, and logs, and logistical support for conferences. Helps with scheduling editorial calendars, events calendars, and the preparation of materials for program events (information packets, logistical signage, media packets, etc.).
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with design, print, and events-related vendors involved in the production process. Schedules and coordinates internal and external meetings, maintains vendor relations for conferences a designers, photographers, caterers, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, international relations/studies, or other relevant subject.
- Superb writing skills and experience in editing.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with all levels of staff and management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite required.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver) desired.
- Experience with HTML coding desired.
- Experience with web editing desired.
- Languages: ability in a second language such as French, Spanish, Russian, or Arabic desired.
To apply, send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line:
“Comms-[YOUR LAST NAME]”. Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer